How to Look Your Best After Liposuction: Tips to Maximize Benefits
Liposuction is a trusted and effective treatment for localized fat removal. But patients have to commit to living a healthy lifestyle to maintain their results. At Mesna Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Center in Minneapolis, MN, we want you to know how to look your best after liposuction, so we offer tips to maximize its benefits. Read our advice for liposuction patients about how they can prolong their results.
Step 1: Follow All Post-Surgical Instructions
Liposuction is a surgical procedure, so it’s important that patients follow all of their plastic surgeon’s instructions during the recovery phase.
- During the first week or two of healing, patients should take it easy and give the body the time it needs to rest and heal.
- Patients should avoid strenuous activity for about six weeks after surgery to prevent worsened bruising and swelling.
- While heavy activity should be avoided, patients should try to start taking light walks around the house within a day or two of surgery to prevent blood clots.
- Although patients can't exercise for up to six weeks after surgery, they should maintain a healthy diet to avoid any weight gain during the recovery period.
- Attend all post-surgical appointments so we can check your progress and let you know when you can increase your activity level.
Step 2: Exercise Regularly
Once your surgeon has cleared you to exercise, it is important to take advantage of it and maintain a good exercise routine. During your post-operative appointments, we can let you know when you can begin to resume more moderate forms of exercise like walking at a faster pace; this typically occurs around four weeks after surgery. Most patients are cleared to resume their regular exercise routine by six weeks after surgery.
The amount and type of exercise that each patient requires varies. To maintain the results of your liposuction procedure, try to exercise at least four to five days a week. Many of our Minneapolis patients find that running, weight training, yoga, spinning, walking, or a combination of these exercises help keep them fit.
Step 3: Maintain a Healthy Diet
Another important step in maintaining your figure after liposuction is eating a healthy diet. Avoiding starchy carbohydrates like cookies, potato chips, and white bread can help. Patients may also want to avoid sugary beverages like sodas, juices, and sports drinks. Try to increase your consumption of healthy proteins, vegetables, and fruit. You may want to try consuming more beans and nuts either as snacks or incorporated into your meals. By maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise routine, most patients are able to prolong their liposuction results.
Step 4: Keep Up With Healthy Habits
Exercise and a healthy diet aren't the only keys to keeping your figure looking great after liposuction. You also want to maintain a healthy lifestyle and adopt habits that support these efforts. For example, don't smoke, limit your alcohol consumption, and drink as much water as needed to stay hydrated.
Contact Mesna Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Center
Contact Mesna Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Center in Minneapolis to schedule your consultation with us. We can determine if liposuction or another body contouring procedure is right for you.