Breast Augmentation to Correct Asymmetry
Year after year, breast augmentation is among the most widely performed plastic surgery procedures. Women commonly see the breasts as a key aspect of the feminine figure, so it is understandable that many choose to enhance their bustline so that they feel more confident in their appearance.
As most know, breast augmentation increases the size of the breasts, but this plastic surgery procedure can do much more than that. Breast augmentation improves the shape of the breasts, and can address imperfections such as asymmetry. Dr. Gregory T. Mesna performs breast augmentation for asymmetry so that his Minneapolis, MN, patients feel more attractive and confident.
What Causes Breast Asymmetry?
Women with asymmetrical breasts often feel like they are weird, or something is wrong with them, but asymmetry is actually very normal. Most women have some degree of breast asymmetry. However, while some cases of asymmetry are hardly noticeable, others deal with breasts that are two different cup sizes, which can be hard to conceal. There are a wide range of reasons that women may have asymmetrical breasts, including:
- Uneven breast development
- Effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Effects of weight gain and/or weight loss
- Virginal hypertrophy (the sudden growth of one breast)
- Uneven shrinkage during the aging process
- Mastectomy to treat breast cancer
- Complication of a previous breast augmentation procedure
Correcting Asymmetry Through Breast Augmentation
Breast asymmetry makes many women feel self-conscious about their appearance. The good news is that asymmetry can be easily corrected through breast augmentation. Depending on the degree of asymmetry that is present, and the specific needs and desires of each patient, Dr. Mesna may recommend that his Minneapolis patients correct asymmetry by having breast implants placed in one or both breasts.
- Correcting asymmetry with a single implant - If a patient is happy with the size and shape of her larger breast, Dr. Mesna can place a single implant in the smaller breast so that it matches the size and shape of the untreated breast.
- Correcting asymmetry with two implants - If a woman wants to address asymmetry while also enhancing the size and shape of her bustline, then Dr. Mesna can place an implant in both breasts. He will place a larger implant in the smaller breast, so that the breasts appear symmetrical after surgery is complete.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation effectively addresses asymmetry by adding volume to one or both breasts so that they match in size and shape. If necessary, Dr. Mesna can also reposition the areola so that the nipples sit in proper alignment with one another. By correcting asymmetry through breast augmentation, our Minneapolis patients can experience these benefits:
- Renewed self-confidence
- Better fitting bras, bathing suits, and tops
- More flexible clothing options
- More pleasing body contours
Contact Us to Learn More
Whether you are considering breast augmentation to increase the size of your bustline, correct asymmetry, or both, Dr. Gregory T. Mesna would be happy to provide you with more information about the procedure. To find out if breast augmentation is right for you, send us a message online, or call our plastic surgery center at (952) 927-4556.