The Skin Enhancing Benefits of Micro-needling
If you're unhappy with the appearance of wrinkles, acne scars, or other skin blemishes, micro-needling may be right for you. Micro-needling effectively reduces the appearance of fine lines and skin blemishes by encouraging the skin's natural production of collagen and elastin. Discover the many benefits of micro-needling in this overview from Minneapolis, MN plastic surgeon Gregory T. Mesna.
What Is Micro-needling Treatment?
Micro-needling, also known as Collagen Induction Therapy, stimulates collagen and elastin production in the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines, acne scars, and other skin blemishes.
During the micro-needling procedure, tiny needles are used to make micro-injuries to the skin. These micro-injuries encourage the skin's natural healing process to occur, producing collagen and elastin, making the skin firmer, smoother, and healthier-looking.
Before treatment begins, a topical gel is applied to the area being treated to ease discomfort. Next, the micro-needling device is applied to the skin until the targeted area is completely covered, which may take 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the area being treated.
Although tiny needles are used during this procedure, due to the size and speed at which the device delivers the needles, most patients feel little to no discomfort. Those who do feel discomfort generally describe it as feeling like light sandpaper being rubbed across the skin. After treatment, the treated skin will be red for about four days or less. Changes to the skin will become visible within several days and will continue to improve as more collagen develops.
The Benefits of Micro-needling
Micro-needling treatment offers many benefits to those looking to improve the appearance of their skin. The device works at such a speed that many patients find treatment fast and painless. Micro-needling can even be used on any part of the body, including the face, arms, hands, legs, abdomen, neck, and back, to reduce the appearance of stretch marks, acne scars, wrinkles, and other blemishes. Other benefits of micro-needling include:
- Encourages the natural production of collagen and elastin: Micro-needling treatment encourages the natural production of collagen and elastin growth, producing plumper, firmer, smoother skin and helping to reduce the appearance of scars and wrinkles.
- Increases the effectiveness of skin care products: Micro-needling treatment can also increase the effectiveness of skin care products. Micro-needling creates micro-channels that allow creams or other skin care treatments to be better absorbed by the skin.
- Safe for all skin types: The needles used in the device are made of nickel-free, medical-grade stainless steel, making them safe for all skin types.
- Allows treatment to be tailored to the needs of each patient: The device can be set at different speeds and depths, allowing micro-needling treatment to be tailored to the unique needs of each patient.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and skin blemishes: Micro-needling helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, and stretch marks by plumping the skin to improve skin smoothness and overall texture.
Candidates for Micro-needling Treatment
Those who are interested in improving the appearance of their skin without pain or the need for significant recovery time may find that micro-needling treatment is the ideal solution. The treatment can help diminish the appearance of skin blemishes on any part of the body. Patients who wish to improve the appearance of these skin flaws are generally good candidates for micro-needling treatment.
- Acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Hyper- and hypo-pigmentation
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Traumatic scars
- Other skin blemishes
Learn More about Micro-needling Treatment
For more information about micro-needling treatment, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mesna.