Follow Tummy Tuck Instructions for Your Most Successful Results
If you feel unhappy with the appearance of your midsection, a tummy tuck offers you the solution you desire. Excess skin, fat deposits, and lax muscles may result in a tummy that does not look as flat and toned as you desire - even when you commit to daily exercise and careful eating habits. When you elect to undergo a tummy tuck, achieving the best results relies partially on preparing for the surgery. Fortunately, at our Minneapolis practice, Mesna Plastic Surgery, your friendly plastic surgeon has a simple set of tummy tuck instructions to follow that will reduce risk and greatly maximize potential benefits. Get yourself - and your home - ready, and you can begin truly looking forward to the abs of your dreams.
Should I Consider a Tummy Tuck?
Preparing for a tummy tuck includes making the decision with confidence and logic. Make sure you speak with Dr. Mesna and our friendly team if you have any questions or concerns. We encourage you to answer our questions honestly. For example, if you plan on having a child soon, your pregnancy may quickly undo the results of the tummy tuck, so it is best to wait. You may also wish to wait if you plan on losing a great deal of weight. We will need to ensure you are healthy enough for surgery, through an honest discussion about your past and current health, and any medication you take. In addition, excellent candidates have realistic expectations regarding the results of a tummy tuck, and expect great improvement rather than perfection.
Pre-Operative Instructions for Your Body
Before coming in for your tummy tuck procedure, your plastic surgeon asks that you prepare your body. Please look over the following instructions for a clearer understanding of what to expect:
- We may request a physical examination, to ensure you are healthy enough for the procedure.
- You will need to completely stop smoking at least two weeks prior to your surgery, to reduce possible complications and ensure successful, timely healing.
- You may need to alter medications you take on a daily basis to ensure you are in good health, and that your medications will not interfere with surgery.
- Your doctor will ask you to stop taking any blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin or NSAIDs, because they may increase bleeding during surgery.
Prepare Your Home Before Your Procedure
Because you will need recovery time, which will include rest and relaxation, you will need to prepare your home before your procedure. You will not be able to bend and stretch until you have healed, so it is important to gather necessary items to set the stage for comfortable recovery before your tummy tuck. Please consider the following instructions:
- Take time off of work and make schedule changes in advance - you will need several weeks of healing time.
- Prepare your home so you will not need to bend, stretch, or lift - place objects at arm level and ensure your bed has clean sheets and adequate blankets.
- Gather ice packs and make sure you have ice in the freezer, for cold compresses.
- Speak with a friend or loved one, to ensure you have someone to drive you home and help you during the day so you can avoid straining.
- Gather comfortable clothing that is easy to put on and take off.
- Speak with your doctor about bandages, ointments, and other preparations for the healing sites that you will need to dress after the procedure.
Schedule an Appointment
Are you dissatisfied with the appearance of your stomach, and wish for tighter, firmer abs? To learn more about a tummy tuck and how to prepare, contact us today, so we can join you on your journey toward the toned midsection you desire.