The LipoSelection® Technique
With liposuction at the forefront of today’s plastic surgery treatments, it seems that more and more types of treatment are being offered to improve results. While each technique may bring different advantages and risks, it’s equally important to choose a highly trained plastic surgeon who is skilled in the procedure.
At Mesna Plastic Surgery in Minneapolis, we utilize Vaser’s LipoSelection® technology to give our patients’ the best possible contours in a safe and comfortable manner. With Dr. Gregory Mesna’s extensive experience and talent with this technique, you can expect outstanding results.
What Is LipoSelection®?
For roughly two decades, ultrasound-assisted liposuction has been used as an enhancement to the traditional liposuction procedure. By emitting ultrasound energy into the body, surgeons can break apart fat cells, making their removal easier. In earlier variations of this technique, some doctors have expressed concern over the risk of damaging nearby tissue. However, with LipoSelection® technology, these risks can be largely abated while producing exceptional accuracy for body contouring.
Candidates for LipoSelection®
The best candidates for any liposuction surgery are those who have excess pockets of fat that have not responded to diet or exercise. Small-to-moderately sized deposits of fat can be more easily removed, yielding beautiful, natural looking contours. Popular areas for liposuction include the arms, chest, abdomen, waist, and thighs. Good candidates also have:
- Good health: A strong immune system and healthy body will ensure a quick recovery with few risks. Before undergoing surgery, speak with your doctor about any risk factors that may negatively affect the procedure.
- Healthy, elastic skin: After liposuction, the body must adjust to its new curves. Healthy skin can more easily fit your contours without any noticeable change or irregularities.
- Realistic expectations: Patients are most satisfied with their liposuction when they understand what it can reasonably accomplish. Liposuction is meant to produce smoother lines by removing excess fat, but it is not intended as means of major weight loss.
What to Expect During the Procedure
If you decide to undergo LipoSelection® , you can expect the following steps to take place:
- An incision will be made, which will allow the ultrasound probes and cannula to disperse and remove fat. Unlike other liposuction techniques, LipoSelection® requires very small incisions.
- A saline solution will be injected into the area, numbing it through local anesthesia and temporarily constricting blood vessels. This limits bleeding and bruising both during and after surgery. The solution will also enlarge the fat tissue, making it easier to target through ultrasound.
- Tiny probes will be used to emit ultrasonic energy, targeting fat and liquefying it while ignoring nearby tissue.
- A thin cannula will be inserted to remove liquefied fat and sculpt the area’s remaining tissue.
After surgery, any incisions will be sutured and bandaged. You may also receive an elastic compression garment to wear, which will help your body heal and adjust. Most patients should expect their results to be fully visible within a few months, but may resume work, school, or similar activities after only a few days of rest.
The Benefits of LipoSelection®
With LipoSelection®, you can expect the traditional benefits of liposuction as well as specific advantages over other techniques. First and foremost, liposuction will eliminate patches of stubborn, unwanted fat, replacing them with even, aesthetically pleasing curves. The effects are immediately noticeable, only continuing to improve in the months after your procedure. With a healthy lifestyle, you can expect your body to retain its new shape for years.
Additionally, many of the procedure’s risks are reduced by LipoSelection®; burns and tissue damage that have been attributed to ultrasound-assisted liposuction are far less common. Similarly, bleeding, bruising, and discomfort after surgery are lessened through the LipoSelection® technique.
What Can LipoSelection® Do for You?
Our liposuction and body contouring procedures have helped many patients regain satisfaction with their bodies. Through a consultation with Dr. Mesna, you too can learn how our services can benefit you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.