Gynecomastia Causes and Treatments
Plastic surgery is a field that has increased in popularity in the last several years among both male and female patients. When patients undergo cosmetic surgery, surgeons can make subtle changes to the appearance of the face, body, and breasts, significantly increasing the patient's self-esteem. For our male patients, one particular issue that causes embarrassment and insecurity is the presence of enlarged breasts. Minneapolis plastic surgeon Gregory T. Mesna not only helps his male patients understand the causes of this medical condition, which is called gynecomastia; he also discusses the treatments available to correct gynecomastia and restore the patient’s confidence.
Causes of Gynecomastia
Men who suffer from gynecomastia may be ashamed about the appearance of the chest for a number of reasons. First, the excess of breast tissue detracts from the masculine appearance male patients desire. Second, the excess of breast tissue can make it look like the patient is out of shape, even if he works out regularly.
While a patient’s weight can cause an increase of fat in the chest area, it is not the cause of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is an actual medical condition in which the mammary glands in male patients are enlarged. The number one cause of gynecomastia is an imbalance of the hormones testosterone and estrogen; this hormonal imbalance occurs naturally as the body changes, and is completely out of the patient’s control. Other possible causes of gynecomastia include:
- A drop in testosterone as patients age
- Some medications, such as those used for heart disease or ulcers
- The use of certain illegal drugs, including steroids
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Genetic conditions
Dr. Mesna can discuss these possible causes in more detail to determine the most likely cause of gynecomastia for his patients.
Fortunately, there are treatment options available to help patients with gynecomastia. The most successful treatments for gynecomastia include the following:
- Medication:Your doctor can prescribe medication to correct hormonal imbalances.
- Plastic surgery:Patients who do not respond to medication or those who have suffered from gynecomastia for a significant amount of time often choose to correct the condition through plastic surgery. For Dr. Mesna’s patients in Minneapolis, liposuction and male breast reduction are the surgical techniques available to correct gynecomastia. Liposuction is performed to eliminate excessive fat tissue from the area, while male breast reduction allows Dr. Mesna to eliminate extra mammary gland tissue, remove excessive skin, and relocate the nipple, if necessary. With surgical intervention, men can free themselves of the feminine appearance of enlarged breasts and sculpt their chest to a more muscular, masculine appearance.
Schedule an Appointment
Dr. Gregory T. Mesna is committed to helping patients obtain their desired appearance; through liposuction and male breast reduction surgery, we can free patients of the shame and embarrassment that can occur when the breasts are affected by an excess of breast fat or tissue. If you are suffering from gynecomastia, schedule an appointment with Dr. Mesna to discuss surgical treatment through male breast reduction. The masculine chest you desire could be within your reach.