Edina Rhinoplasty Surgeon Gregory Mesna
Many people are unhappy with the appearance of their noses. The shape of the nose is dictated by genetics, though it can be altered as a result of injury or surgery. Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that allows surgeons to reshape the nose for cosmetic reasons, clear blocked nasal passages, and correct problems caused by injuries. Edina plastic surgeon Gregory T. Mesna provides an overview of the rhinoplasty procedure, including the risks, benefits, and side effects of treatment.
Nose surgery is capable of enhancing our Edina rhinoplasty patient's appearance and improving their self-esteem. The procedure can alter the:
- Profile: bumps along the ridge can be reduced
- Bridge: the bridge can be made narrower
- Tip: large, drooping, or upturned tips can be refined
- Size: overly prominent noses can be brought down in size
- Nostrils: the size and shape of the nostrils can be changed
- Asymmetry: the bridge and tip can be straightened out
- Deviation: a deviated septum can be corrected to improve breathing
Rhinoplasty Side Effects and Risks
Although the rhinoplasty procedure offers many advantages, patients should be aware of the side effects and risks that are linked to the treatment. These include:
- Recurring nose bleeds
- Possibility of under or over correction
- Difficulty breathing
Following rhinoplasty surgery, patients should rest in bed and take it easy for a few days. We recommend that our patients elevate their head as much as possible to reduce bleeding and swelling after surgery. You will need to wear nasal dressing to protect the treatment area for up to one week. In order to achieve the best results, you should avoid:
- Strenuous activities or exercise
- Making animated facial expressions
- Blowing your nose
- Exposing the skin on the nose to the sun, as this can cause discoloration
The bruising and swelling should subside within a few weeks of surgery.
Contact Our Edina Rhinoplasty Surgeon
If you are interested in improving the appearance of your nose, contact our Edina practice today for a rhinoplasty consultation.
Edina breast augmentation surgeon Gregory Mesna also performs cosmetic breast surgery procedures. Browse our site to learn more about these and other plastic surgery procedures.