Customize Your Enhancement with Saline Breast Implants
When you visit Dr. Gregory T. Mesna to discuss your candidacy for breast augmentation, you will work together to determine what type of breast implant is right for you. Both saline and silicone breast implants have distinct advantages to consider. Saline breast implants are a great option for patients who have a moderate amount of breast tissue already who want enhanced volume and cleavage. Saline implants can also be highly customized and placed using smaller incisions.
To learn more about saline breast implants, contact our Minneapolis, MN, office today.
About Saline Breast Implants
Saline breast implants are made of a silicone shell filled with saline (a saltwater solution). In addition to choosing an implant material, you will have several other choices to make. Dr. Mesna will evaluate your unique body type and aesthetic goals to help make recommendations for:
- Size - Saline implant shells can be filled to achieve virtually any size. In addition to deciding the right size of implant shell, Dr. Mesna will also help determine how many cubic centimeters (CCs) to fill each of your implants with. If your breasts are asymmetrical, a very common concern, Dr. Mesna can create symmetry by filling each implant to a slightly different degree.
- Shape - Unlike silicone implants, which can be round or teardrop-shaped, saline implants are only available in a round shape. Round implants have a more symmetrical distribution of material. Although teardrop-shaped implants are often considered to create a more natural look, round implants are ideal for patients who are most concerned with adding volume and creating cleavage. Some patients also feel that round implants look more like natural breast tissue when they lie down.
- Profile - Profile describes the distance that the implant projects outward from its base, and ultimately the amount your breasts will project from your chest. You can choose from low, moderate, moderate plus, and high profile implants. Low profile implants have a wider base and project out the least, while high profile implants have the smallest base and project out from the body the most. For saline, Dr. Mesna can further change the profile of your implants depending upon the volume of saline they are filled with.
Weighing the Benefits of Saline Implants
There are several reasons why you might choose saline implants for your breast augmentation:
- Dr. Mesna can adjust the size of each of your saline implants during surgery for a beautifully symmetrical final result.
- Saline breast implants can be inserted through all types of incision patterns since they are filled after placement. Because they can be inserted through an incision in the armpit or around the areola, you can expect little to no visible scarring after healing is complete.
- The saline solution is completely harmless to the body. If a saline implant ruptures, it will become apparent very soon, since the saline will be absorbed by the body and your breast will deflate. Revision surgery can safely restore your enhancement.
- Saline implants are available to patients as young as 18 years old, while only patients 22 years of age and older can receive silicone implants.
- Generally, the cost of breast implants is less for saline than silicone.
Full, voluptuous breasts can greatly enhance your confidence in your appearance. To learn more about whether saline breast implants are right for you, contact Mesna Plastic Surgery today.