Silicone Breast Implants Minneapolis
Dr. Gregory T. Mesna offers both silicone and saline implants to meet our breast augmentation patients’ varied needs and goals. Silicone breast implants are comprised of a silicone shell that is pre-filled with a viscous silicone gel. This type of implant is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for patients age 22 or older.
Many patients feel that silicone implants achieve the most natural look and texture. To learn more about the benefits of silicone breast implants, contact Mesna Plastic Surgery‘s Minneapolis, MN, office today.
About Silicone Breast Implants
Silicone breast implants come in a wide variety of pre-filled shapes and sizes. After you and Dr. Mesna have determined that silicone implants are right for you, you will discuss other specifics including:
- Size – Because they come pre-filled, Dr. Mesna will do a great deal of planning with you before your surgery to ensure that you receive the correct size of implants. Both of your implants may not necessarily be the same exact size. If one of your breasts is smaller than the other, for example, Dr. Mesna may recommend two different sizes of implants.
- Shape – Silicone breast implants come in either a round or teardrop shape. Round implants have a consistent volume across the implant, while teardrop-shaped implants increase in volume from top to bottom. For silicone implants specifically, shape is very important. Silicone is more viscous and retains a consistent shape much more than saline, which is more fluid.
- Profile – Profile describes the distance your implants protrude from your chest. Dr. Mesna will help you determine whether a high profile (extending further from the chest wall) or a moderate or low profile implant is right for you. Along with shape, various profile implants will differ in the way they affect the appearance of patients with very little existing breast tissue.
- Type of Silicone – While the liquid in saline implants is generally a consistent, water-like consistency, silicone can vary a great deal in terms of viscosity. Some silicone is more fluid, while other types, like “gummy bear” implants, are much thicker and retain their shape differently.
Neither type of breast implant is necessarily better than the other since both saline and silicone meet the varied needs of different patients. Dr. Mesna will help you determine if the advantages of silicone implants are in line with your goals, budget, and other factors. Considerations include:
- Some patients feel that silicone implants result in a more natural appearance and feel than saline implants.
- Silicone breast implants are a great option for thin patients with very little breast tissue.
- This type of implant has a very low risk of rippling or dimpling, which can be a concern for saline implants.
- Silicone implants retain a more consistent shape when compared to saline implants.
Schedule an Appointment
Dr. Mesna can help you achieve your aesthetic goals with a highly customized breast enhancement surgery. To learn more about silicone breast implants and other types of breast surgery, contact Mesna Plastic Surgery today.