2016 Plastic Surgery Statistics Show the Latest Trends
Plastic surgery trends change as new treatments are developed. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) recently released plastic surgery statistics for 2016, showing which treatments are gaining in popularity. Body contouring treatments, like liposuction, are among some of the most popular treatments to transform the body and enhance the appearance. In addition to surgical treatments, non-surgical and minimally invasive procedures have increased in popularity. Let’s explore the latest trends in plastic surgery by looking at 2016 plastic surgery statistics in this overview from Minneapolis, MN plastic surgeon Gregory T. Mesna.
Top Five Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
Cosmetic surgery continues to be a popular choice for rejuvenating and improving the appearance. The most popular procedures of 2016 are:
- Breast augmentation: Breast augmentation was the most popular cosmetic surgery with 290,467 procedures performed in 2016. This was up 4% from 2015 and 37% from 2000.
- Liposuction: The total number of liposuction procedures performed in 2016 was 235,237, up 6% from 2015 but down 34% since 2000.
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty, commonly called a “nose job,” was the third most popular plastic surgery with 223,018 procedures performed. This was an increase of 2% since 2015, down 43% since 2000.
- Eyelid surgery: Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, was the fourth most popular plastic surgery performed in 2016 with 209,020 procedures performed. This was an increase of 2% from 2015 but down 36% from 2000.
- Facelift: Facelift procedures totaled 131,106 in 2016, up 4% from 2015 and down 2% from 2000.
Top Five Non-surgical Cosmetic Procedures
Non-surgical cosmetic procedures have been gaining in popularity since 2000. The top five non-surgical cosmetic procedures of 2016 include:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A: Botulinum Toxin Type A, such as Botox®, Dysport®, Xeomin® injections, were the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure with 7,056,255 procedures performed in 2016. This was up 4% since 2015 and 797% since 2000.
- Soft tissue fillers: 2,600,868 treatments were performed in 2016, up 2% since 2015 and up 298% since 2000
- Chemical peel: Chemical peels were the third most popular non-surgical procedure with 1,360,850 performed. This was a 4% increase since 2015 and up 18% since 2000.
- Laser hair removal: Laser hair removal was the fourth most popular procedure with 1,109,385 performed, a slight 1% decrease since 2015 but up 51% since 2000
- Microdermabrasion: In 2016, 775,014 microdermabrasion procedures were performed, a 3% decrease from 2015 and an 11% decrease from 2000.
Other Interesting Trends
In addition to the top five surgical and non-surgical procedures, different lift procedures were fairly popular. Breast lifts, arm lifts, thigh lifts, neck lifts, forehead lifts, and lower body lifts were all on the rise since 2015. Abdominoplasty, or “tummy tuck” surgery, almost made the top five list with 127,633 procedures performed in 2016.
Find Out Which Treatments Are Right for You
If you are interested in enhancing your body or rejuvenating your appearance, Dr. Mesna offers a variety of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures that may be right for you. To find out more about your treatment options, you’re encouraged to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Mesna.