Rhinoplasty Can Transform Your Appearance
The size or shape of your nose can have a significant impact on your overall appearance and self-confidence. Rhinoplasty at our Minneapolis, MN, office can alleviate any aesthetic features you dislike and correct related health issues by redefining the contours of your nose. Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is one of the most delicate types of facial cosmetic surgery because small, subtle changes can make an enormous difference. Dr. Gregory T. Mesna has years of experience performing this specialized type of surgery. He can perform your rhinoplasty with extreme precision and make improvements that greatly enhance your appearance without altering the character and natural beauty of your facial features.
Before Your Surgery: Consultation with Dr. Mesna
A thorough consultation and evaluation are essential components of a successful rhinoplasty procedure. During your appointment, you will meet with Dr. Mesna and his team to discuss your health history and treatment goals as well review as all the details of a rhinoplasty procedure, including:
- Whether you are a good candidate for the procedure
- The benefits of the surgery
- Any possible risks or concerns
- The total cost estimate
- What to expect during the surgery itself
- Postoperative care and recovery
In this comprehensive consultation, Dr. Mesna can help you develop realistic expectations for the outcome of your nose job, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. Together, you can design the shape of your new nose to meet your goals and achieve the best balance of your facial features.
Am I a Good Candidate?
The best candidates for rhinoplasty are in good health and have realistic expectations for their procedure. Dr. Mesna typically recommends that rhinoplasty patients are over the age of 13 and that their facial bones have stopped growing.
Your candidacy can be determined during your private consultation with Dr. Mesna. At his fully equipped surgical facility, he can evaluate your medical history and skin condition, and discuss the best surgical techniques to achieve your goals.
Benefits and Risks of Rhinoplasty
Once your candidacy has been determined, a rhinoplasty may be recommended to address a number of cosmetic and health-related issues. This procedure can:
- Reduce the size of a long or very wide nose
- Alter the size of wide or very flared nostrils
- Improve irregularities or augment depressions on the nasal bridge
- Remove excess cartilage from an overhanging nasal tip
- Realign a crooked or asymmetrical nose
- Repair a broken nose
- Treat a deviated septum
- Improve breathing by opening nasal airways
As with any surgical procedure, rhinoplasty carries certain risks. In the rare case of complications, you may experience chronic nosebleeds, scarring, numbness, or hematoma. As with many cosmetic procedures, it is possible that you may not like the results of treatment, and you may wish to undergo revision surgery as a result.
While these risks seem significant, they very seldom occur. Moreover, these risks can be dramatically lessened if you choose a surgeon with the experience and satisfied patients that Dr. Mesna has. He has performed hundreds of rhinoplasty surgeries and can precisely reshape your nose to your desired specifications.
Dr. Mesna can perform your rhinoplasty with extreme precision and make improvements that greatly enhance your appearance without altering the character and natural beauty of your facial features.
To further minimize your risks, it is important that you maintain an open line of communication with Dr. Mesna throughout the entire procedure. Be sure to voice concerns and ask questions about any details of your treatment that you would like to be explained in more detail. Dr. Mesna is completely transparent with all patients regarding all aspects of their treatments and strives to make himself available as much as possible.
Factors Affecting Rhinoplasty Cost
Dr. Mesna can estimate the total cost of your unique rhinoplasty. If your rhinoplasty will be addressing functional⏤rather than cosmetic⏤concerns, some or all of your procedure may be covered by insurance, and our team can discuss all financing options with you. Before you can determine the total cost of your rhinoplasty, several factors must be considered:
- Facilities & Technology: Dr. Mesna's office is equipped to perform most plastic surgery procedures, which can potentially negate costs incurred by using a hospital or ambulatory surgical center.
- Anesthesiologist Fees: Just as any specialist will charge a fee for his or her services, an anesthesiologist will charge for the administration of intravenous (IV) sedation or general anesthesia. These costs are occasionally included in the initial treatment estimate, but you should determine all costs before deciding to proceed with rhinoplasty.
- Surgical Techniques: Some features are more difficult to alter through rhinoplasty. If your procedure requires a longer, more complex surgery, it can raise the overall cost of your treatment.
- Postoperative Care: Dr. Mesna may prescribe pain medication following your procedure, and you will also need to attend follow-up appointments as part of your postoperative care. Your cost may be affected by this, but it is important to the success of your procedure to attend all follow-up appointments and follow all postoperative care instructions precisely.
The cost of your rhinoplasty will also depend largely on the education, experience, and other qualifications of the surgeon you choose. Dr. Mesna is an esteemed surgeon who is well-respected by his peers, which means you can rest assured knowing your surgical results may well exceed your expectations. Most patients feel that paying slightly more for a highly skilled surgeon like Dr. Mesna is a prudent decision. When you choose a surgeon with proven results, you will more likely achieve the results that you desire.
The Procedure: What to Expect
The rhinoplasty procedure varies from patient to patient, and your surgery will depend on your individual goals. During your surgery, Dr. Mesna can create subtle, hidden incisions that result in negligible scarring. These incisions may be made inside the nose, across the cartilage that divides your nostrils (columella), or in the folds of your nose. Through these incisions, the doctor will gently lift the skin and reshape the underlying cartilage. In some cases, he may also augment the structure of your nose using bone or skin grafts to create a more proportionate profile and appearance.
Aftercare & Healing
Following your procedure, you will likely wear a splint for several days to keep your nose stable and to promote healing. Some minor swelling and bruising is normal, and Dr. Mesna may prescribe mild pain medication to control your discomfort. After a few days, you should be able to wear makeup to conceal any remaining discoloration. For the first few days following surgery, it is important to avoid strenuous physical activity and to sleep with your head elevated. Dr. Mesna will provide individual counseling and advice regarding your return to work and when to resume any exercise routines.
As your healing progresses, the results of your procedure should become more apparent. While it may take several months for the swelling to completely subside, you can enjoy natural-looking results by the end of your recovery.
Understand Your Options
If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your nose, call our office at (952) 927-4556 or contact us online. We will be happy to book your consultation with Dr. Mesna so you can learn more about the procedure and determine if rhinoplasty is right for you.
“Dr. Mesna was absolutely amazing!!! He was so patient with me and helped me make a life-changing decision when it worked for me. I never felt any pressure! I wished I had made the decision sooner!” Tasha